Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Way Up is Down

A man's pride shall bring him low: but honor shall uphold the humble in spirit.
Proverbs 29:23

God has His own humorous way of humbling me.  Just this week I accidentally barged in two different places I was not supposed to be, and it was completely embarrassing!  First, I interrupted Heartland's traveling groups meeting (which I honest to goodness thought was adjourned!).  Secondly, I stormed into the dorm room that was mine last year and had to apologize to a bewildered freshman who was probably wondering why on earth I came into her room without knocking.  Even worse, I had already done the same thing three times that week!  The grand finale: on the way down the stairs I tripped and stumbled headlong into the wall.

Embarrassing moments are not necessarily God's sole means of keeping us humble, but they do wonders!  It's been well said, "The way up is down."  God designed us to stay small in our own eyes, while He lifts us up.  Because God never meant for us to exalt ourselves, He resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.  We must be cautious when we are publicly recognized, lest we exalt ourselves in our hearts.  Being humble is not having "low self-esteem," but a high esteem for God.  Stay "little in thine own sight" (I Samuel 15:17) and He will exalt you in due time (I Peter 5:6).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Swidget 1.0

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...